domingo, 20 de julio de 2008

los viejos

Los viejos, otherwise known as old men, are thriving here in Madrid. The old man community has made me feel very welcome, as they clearly recognize one of their own among them (i.e. me being a grandpa). But i want to give special attention to two old men who have gone above and beyond others in making me feel especially, uh, welcome. First, there's Alfonso, a charming regular at my friend's cafeteria (it's like a bar...but as they are everywhere here, it might be better to picture them like Spanish diners). While at first a little shy, he quickly warmed right up to me, and our first conversation went something like this (this is a translation. i sound better in english):
Me: Yeah, I've been here about a week. This heat is killing me though.
Alfonso: You're really beautiful, no? What are you doing here with Leo?
Me: uh...thanks? By the way, where
is Leo?

While my "conversation" with Alfonso was the usual awkward old-man encounter (but in
Spanish!!!), Fernando was something special. Clearly charmed by his question, "Are you a foreigner?," I was persuaded to stay and chat with him a few minutes. In this half-hour period, in which I drank for free, at 4 pm on a Sunday afternoon, Fernando told me that Spain's history was the most interesting history in the world. Not his opinion, but an actual fact. Also, did you know that the best parts of the US were founded by the Spanish? California, the richest part of the US, founded by the Spanish. Miami, the most important tourist destination, founded by the Spanish. Texas, the biggest state in so many ways, founded by the Spanish. (Fact-checking has never been my strong point). And let's not even talk about Spanish food. Since all Americans subsist on a diet of solely hamburgers, how we could possibly understand the depth and complexity of French fries topped with a fried egg? And while I declined an invitation to go clubbing with him, I did learn a lot about Spain, and I also drank for free. So, here's to you, old men. Thanks again, for making me feel welcome in a slightly uncomfortable, musty sort of way.

4 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

Not surprisingly my favorite part of that story was the drink for free part. How come in new york anytime I'm offered a free drink it requires much more than a conversation about questionable historical facts...ie questionable sexual acts. It only leads to a vicious cycle in which the only way I can overcome the emotional scarring is with relentless drinking and the only way I can afford my relentless drinking is perpetual emotional scarring.

CorrineT dijo...

one word: ALASKA

mojoman dijo...

Those dirty old men...., but, hey the drinks were free!

Traci in NJ dijo...

I feel an idea coming on. . .can THEY use the washing machine??