martes, 25 de noviembre de 2008

vicky christina barcelona-public service announcement?

Last weekend, I saw Vicky Christina Barcelona, which I know came out like eons ago, but I move slowly. I'm in Spain. Aside from the fantastic scenery of Barcelona, which, as seen in earlier blogs, is the prettier of the two main Spanish cities, the film shows the two main characters and their complex relationships with conformity, commitment, and men. For me, it's about their different perspectives, and the different ways to see love and to see the world. However, if you're an American girl in Spain, there's a more immediate lesson to be learned from Woody: Don't sleep with Spanish men. You will end up alone, confused, and with a possible gunshot wound. In my opinion, this was part of the message. Nothing good can come of sexual relations between the American and Spanish populations. Whether you are romantic or apathetic, it's not going to work. The rules are different, and I can't handle that kind of passionate confusion. The film shows how passionate the Spanish are in comparison to the two young pretty Americans, seduced by the beauty around them, helped by the wine. Even Scarlett Johansson, the more romantic and whimsical of the two, lacks a certain depth of feeling, perhaps a national characteristic. Her friend, succumbing to the romanticism of the moment, quickly comes to her senses after Penelope Cruz brandishes a pistol, yelling "You're all crazy!" Yes. You think they're crazy, they think you're crazy. It can't work, because the crazies are not compatible. We're dealing with non-compatible, multi-lingual crazy here, and quite honestly, the complexity only deepens. Did I mention I saw this movie on a date? With a Spanish guy? Yeah, that's not happening. Because he's CRAZY. Or I am. I don't know. Depends on the perspective, I guess.

No hay comentarios: