martes, 1 de septiembre de 2009

studying for the fsot

Looking at the title for this entry, most of you may think...what is the FSOT? I'm hoping some of you googled it, which would tell you that I'm studying for the Foreign Service Officer Test (I bolded the letters so that you can see that they match!). Follow up question: Is that a real thing, or is it something you are pretending to do to seem like you have a plan? Well, doubters/parents, it is a real thing. In fact, it's the test you have to pass to be able to work abroad representing the United States in an embassy. Apparently, it's very difficult (I know because Wikipedia told me so), so I've been reading some books off the Suggested Reading List, provided by the US Government. That's right, the government recommends that you read books. Surprisingly, A People's History of the United States didn't make the cut, but Postwar: A History of Europe Since 1945 did. So far, this is the book I have enjoyed the most (A Peace to End All Peace, about the fall of the Ottoman Empire was really boring...shocking, I know). If you are looking for a book that will develop your biceps and your brain, then look no further! At over 1000 pages, even in paperback this bad boy is a pain to carry around on the subway. But did you know the percentage of Italians who had fridges in 1954? 4%. And in 1977, just 23 years later? 94%. (I actually found this really, really interesting, in all seriousness). Why? You'll just have to read the book for the thrilling conclusion. I just can't wait to find out what happens!

1 comentario:

Christopher Wink dijo...

Anyone I ever met who took, passed and used their FSOT would speak wildly and excitedly about their opportunity to live in a new place, but no one ever seemed to actually like his or her job. They always seemed very ordinary 9-5ers, the Dept. of State ones often in English, too, but liked living abroad. ..No judgment either way, but just something to think about. You also may love your job... then you could be the first person I know who did, after following the FSOT.