jueves, 18 de septiembre de 2008

dietary transformations

You give me food, I'll eat it. Whatever. While anyone who has known me from my days of blatant refusal to eat green pasta may see this as a bold-face lie, the picky eater in me has been vanquished by my "vegetarian-in-Spain" experience a year ago. This period was also known as "Carbfest with a side of Olive Oil '07." But really, vegetarianism/voluntary starvation opens your tastebuds and dietary system up to a whole new array of options here in Spain. Yesterday, I ate pig fat fried in fat. I believe it still had hairs on its hide. It was free, so I figured I might as well try it. I ate gulas...I believe the consensus, through online dictionary research, is that gulas are baby eels. Which makes sense, since they looked like little worms. To be fair, I had no idea what gulas were when I ordered them. I simply thought to myself, "Well, whatever they are, they can't be too weird." This in the country that serves a pig's ear as part of standard tapas fare (I haven't tried it yet). In Morlupo, the little Italian town I visited, I ate some kind of wild chicken. We think they caught it somewhere near the premises. With Rebecca's encouragement, in Barcelona, I managed to eat a whole fish. I know it was a whole fish because it still had its head, fins, skin, bones, and eyes. However, perhaps the strangest things that end up in my stomach come from the school cafeteria. There are two reasons for this. One, everything is free, and I just graduated from college and moved to another country as my native land fell head-first into a sub-prime abyss, meaning that money and I really don't see a lot of each other. Two, I really don't know what anything is. I ask, the cafeteria women tell me, I give a confused look, they say it again, but louder, and I point and say "Esto, por favor." One moment had special significance, the day that callos were an option. I have reproduced the conversation, in translation:
Cafeteria Lady: For the second plate, there's chicken and this other chicken.
Me: What's that tray underneath the chicken?
Cafeteria Lady:
Callos.
Me: What?
Cafeteria Lady:
Callos.
Me: ...What?
Cafeteria Lady (shakes head): You won't like them. Trust me.
Me (shrugs): OK. That chicken, please.
Cafeteria Lady: Tell you what. I'll give you a little bit, you try it. On Monday, you let me know if you liked it or not. Yeah?
Me: Why not?
I just want to say for the doubters, I gave the
callos two bites. The first bite, I got mostly sauce, and described it to my fellow American Megan, who was watching intently, as smoking, musky chorizo that's kinda old. The second bite, I got some meat, and I believe my face contorted in a way I did not know was possible. It was chewy, rubbery, slippery, unidentifiable. We shrugged it off, as neither of us had any idea what it could be. When someone else sat down with a plate heaped full of it, I politely asked if he knew what it was. He looked at me consolingly, and said, These are the cow's stomach and intestines. On Monday, I told the lunch lady that callos really weren't my thing.

2 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

i've never been so proud of you, first day of Go today...its time for these kids to meet their maker...or at least their tutor

Christopher Wink dijo...

Cafeterias in Spain! Well done, Abi. If my cash flow can keep up - which student loans and the necessities of getting a real job make uncertain - I would love to bother you, the young teacher. Make NW Jersey, Sussex County, the SC, the 973 proud. I'll be following you as best I can while traveling. Hope you'll do the same.