lunes, 1 de junio de 2009

stuff breaks

Although I've been living on my own since I was eighteen, I've never really had to fix anything. There was always the NYU Fixer-Upper crew. When you had a problem, you registered it with them, and that was that. Well. The good life is over, and now I've got to fix stuff on my own. So far, things have stayed broken. But that's going to change! (I use the exclamation mark to energize myself). First, there was the broken outlet. Somehow, in my sleep, I ripped my outlet out of the wall. I mean, it is right next to my bed. I don't remember how I did it. All I know is, I woke up and there were wires...things were a bit disatrous, but no one was electrocuted. It still worked though...needless to say, I used it. And that outlet pretty much stayed out of the wall. I considered the duct tape option, but then I just learned to live with the status quo. Until Lidia's friend Carol visited. Lidia mentioned that I was in danger of frying the wiring of the entire building, and Carol got right to work. Qualification: Good at putting IKEA furniture together. With some scissors and a knife, my outlet was back in its rightful place. A real McGyver. But now, within a week of paradise of everything working, I totally broke my blinds. They aren't the normal American kind. They go up into the wall, and there's a cord that goes in there too. For all I know, there are little gnomes in there pulling and pushing my blinds up and down. However, if that is the case, the little guys have gone on strike. My behavior had nothing to do with it. I was always nice to them. But who did what to whom is irrelevant. The point is that I can't sleep past sunrise. I'm tired, I'm cranky, and I am committed to fixing these blinds. How am I going to fix them? Two solutions: 1) Actually attempting to unscrew things. When that ends in me breaking my thumb...2) Baking. Baking is always a solution. Why? "Can you help me fix my blinds? I just don't know what to do..." (smile, hand on waist) "Brownies?" Yay feminism!

No hay comentarios: