domingo, 19 de octubre de 2008

where everyone knows your name

Cliché, it certainly is. However, there is something to be said for having a special place where the people know who you are, especially when really, there are about two to three people who know who you are. So, rather than frequent Starbucks as a homesickness cure, as was the case during my last trip, I stumbled upon this Argentinean bakery with my friend. I say stumbled because we had just gone running, and my legs were tired. Although we usually always went to an amazing Argentinean ice cream place down the street, we decided to give something new a try. At least we jogged first, so it was kind of like we only ate two mini croissants instead of five. Did I mention my friend is Argentinean (kind of)? (By the way, sometimes I eat Spanish food, too. I should probably just go to Argentina and get the authentic treatment). This may be why we bonded with the people that worked there. Or perhaps it was my innate desire to eat everything in the store, until being unable to fit through the door. Owners appreciate that kind of blind, to hell-with-my-waist devotion. And I appreciate anything fattening (or really, anything) with some dulce de leche. It could not be a more perfect match. Our relationship did not end there. We faithfully returned at least twice a week, for about a month, somehow managing to still fit into our clothes. I bought my birthday cake there, and both merienda (like an afternoon snack) and breakfast were had. I've said it once, I'll say it again: pastry brings people together. Here's to you, Los Manxares.

No hay comentarios: