domingo, 12 de abril de 2009

traveling with the parents

We stayed in a hotel room, without bunk beds! We ate at expensive (ok, moderately-priced) restaurants without guilt! We shopped and actually bought things! We went to bed relatively sober at a reasonable hour! We got up early without moaning! That's right, it's...vacation with the parents! I spent a week with my parents, European-style. Specifically, British-style. First stop: London. A half-way point between Continental Europe and the US, a wading pool, if you will. Everything's old, like Europe, but people drink out of American-sized To-Go cups. There's also a New York-like theater (I mean, theatre) district, and large portion sizes. People speak English, but it sounds a bit funny. I may have said London is America Lite. Am I being an arrogant, pretentious American? Probably, yes. But, back to the main "theme" of this entry: parents, traveling. The last time my parents and I hung out on the "Old World" continent, we were in Madrid, and things were a bit stressful. I was the designated translator, but I was at school most of the time, so things were a little hairy for my parents. But in the UK, everybody speaks English! So, that was one problem solved. And since no one was familiar with London or Edinburgh, we could all get lost together. We didn't feel strange about whipping out a giant map, or asking strangers for directions. I did feel slightly self-conscious about my American accent, which sounded like a drawl compared to the prim and proper British one. So we explored London, walked a lot, ate way too much food (much of it fried), and that was vacation. There weren't any late nights, but there were plenty of early mornings. Next stop: Edinburgh. Way beautiful. Gigantic castle on the hill. A lot of bagpipes. There was also a tower that reminded me of Mordor. And Scotch, with particularly "peaty" aftertaste. We didn't try any haggis, but again, we walked and ate a lot. That was the main theme of the trip. We also watched Quantum of Solace (I really had to take advantage of movies being in English), and relaxed. Because that's what vacation with the parents is all about. Relaxing, and traveling in style.

1 comentario:

Christopher Wink dijo...

Traveling with the parents! Now that is adorable, although I have to say I don't know anyone in Europe who call the U.K. European. Or so I thought.

Have fun and keep it family-friendly.
-cgw